Please review the checklist below carefully and note that:
- Both people must come in person to the Town Clerk's office. The office is open Monday-Friday, 8am-3pm.
- Only the names that appear on the documentation are acceptable. We cannot change or Americanize a name using the Marriage License. All foreign language documents must be accompanied by a certified English translation from a certified translator. Certified translators may be found at a local university or Consular Office.
- The license must be applied for a minimum of 24 hours prior to the ceremony and is valid for 60 days.
- The license application process takes up to 30 minutes. Applicants are requested to arrive at the Town Clerk's office a minimum of 30 minutes prior to the close of the business day.
You will need
The following are requirements for a New York State marriage license:
- Filed copies of any divorce papers must be brought with you for examination.
- Both applicants must bring a certified copy or certified transcript of your birth certificate, listing the birth name, date of birth, place of birth, father’s first and last names and mother’s first and maiden names. If a birth certificate does not exist, than an early Church or School record may be accepted. These records must include birth certificate information and this information will be verified with the Church or School personnel.
- Both applicants must bring one of the following:
- Photo Drivers License
- Photo Non-drivers License
- Naturalization Papers – only original papers are acceptable
- Military Photo I.D.
- Employer’s Photo I.D. (the employer will be called for verification)