Marriage License Checklist
NOTICE TO MARRIAGE LICENSE APPLICANTS
The following are requirements for a New York State marriage license:
- Both people must come in person to the Town Clerk’s office. The office is open Monday-Friday, 9am-3pm.
- The fee is $40.00
- Filed copies of any divorce papers must be brought with you for examination.
- Each of you must bring with you a certified copy or certified transcript of your birth certificate, listing the birth name, date of birth, place of birth, father’s first and last names and mother’s first and maiden names. If a birth certificate does not exist, than an early Church or School record may be accepted. These records must include birth certificate information and this information will be verified with the Church or School personnel.
- Only the names that appear on the documentation are acceptable. We cannot change or Americanize a name using the Marriage License. All foreign language documents must be accompanied by a certified English translation from a certified translator. Certified translators may be found at a local university or Consular Office.
- Each of you must bring with you one of the following:
- Photo Drivers License
- Photo Non-drivers License
- Naturalization Papers – only original papers are acceptable
- Military Photo I.D.
- Employer’s Photo I.D. (the employer will be called for verification)